Saturday, August 21, 2010

Tensed about Tenses

Dearest Students,

Here is the last part ~ Future tenses ^^

Simple Future = An action or something that we predict will happen in the future. Ex: I think it will rain tonight or I think it is going to rain tonight...Both are equally correct since you are making a prediction. Remember, ONLY INDEPENDENT CLAUSE can be used with the future tense, DEPENDENT CLAUSES MUST USE simple present. For Ex: When he sees you, he will pass you the money. NOT When he will see you, he will pass you the money.

Future Progressive~Will be verb+ing = An action that will be happening or progressive at a certain time or when a certain action happens in the future. For Ex: I know Lim sleeps every night at 10; you asked me if you could visit her at 10.30, I would say no because if you go at 10.30 p.m. you won't meet her because she will be sleeping then.

Future Perfect ~ Will have + Past participle verb = To show 2 different actions that will both happen in the future and future perfect will show action 1 while simple present can be used to show 2nd action. For example: I will move to London in September; you will graduate in November. So action 1 of moving to London will happen first before you graduate later. To write the sentence: By the time you graduate, I will have already moved to London ^^.

Future Perfect Progressive ~Will have been + Verb+ing = To show the duration between 2 future actions.
I will start cooking at 8.00 p.m. tonight; you will come and help me by 10 p.m. Sentence: By the time you come and help me tonight, I will have been cooking for 2 hours!
It can also mean an action that has already started but needs to continue to the future in order to meet the required time. For ex: Professor Lim will have been teaching in MMU for 9 years by the time he retires in 2 months' time. This means until now, Prof Lim has been teaching for 8 years and 10 months but needs to teach for another 2 months into the future to meet the total 9 years of service.

That's ALL ^^ Still no questions? ^^ Please feel free to ask.....

Luv,
Ms Jasline


 

No comments: